A background on my pet experience: I grew up with a dog and a cat. I've been keeping fish for about four years now. I had two cats, but they were taken away from me, for reasons beyond my control (this is especially why I want to get my situation figured out before I get mice). I also have a juvenile bearded dragon.
So a few questions:
1) What sort of cage is best? I've examined the stuff at my local Petsmarts, but I don't like the way they look. Can I use, say, a reptile terrarium? Could I make my own? What should I make it out of -- wire? Wire mesh? Glass?
2) Do they need lighting over their tank, or are they good with ambient light?
3) How similar is mouse cage lining to kitty litter, in terms of maintenance?
4) How much do mice like to climb? Should I take that into consideration when picking out a cage?
5) What is the right thing to feed them? Websites seem to vary a lot on that. What sort of bowl should it be presented in?
6) Most importantly, what are the best resources for doing more research? Books, websites, etc. I want to know what can be trusted and what can't be.